So there's one more plane ride to take that will officially end this 78 day adventure. In these 78 days, I have had tea in a sidewalk cafe in London, hitched rides around the Mhalanya Valley, comforted bawling children, sang "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes" with child-like joy, tasted impala, walked on flooded dirt roads in barefeet, conversed with ostridges (heck I don't even know how to spell that), held precious and beautiful children, made them smile, and crossed over 17,000+ km of land and ocean. I have gone to a square dancing evening, helped out at a bottle depot raising money for Habitat for Humanity, played organ with lovely ladies who are four times my age (and I don't even play organ!), laughed myself silly over things such as almost getting my hand taken off by a slamming door, gotten a $5 haircut, learned how to make good use out of the Vancouver transit system, listened to an insanely talented musician, cheered for the Canucks, cried with the Canucks (at least I won't be missing their otherwise would-be spectacular play-off season since we don't have cable in Fernie), gone for coffee with several different friends, enjoyed the beach, reconnected with my "amazing bowling skills" (ya right!), surprised my parents and brother by greeting them at YVR, participated in the celebration of my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary... I'd say more but that's what I'm remembering at the moment...
It has been a beautiful 72 days. No matter how different they were compared to what I had in mind, the cons are buried by the pros, the confusion is cleared by the peace, and the disappointment is distinguished by the hope of a better idea; a better tomorrow.
It's the end of one adventure but really... it's just the continuation of one massive adventure. It's crazy to look back and realize how everything turned out despite those moments of panic. One thing is for sure: it's not by luck, it's not by coincidence, it's not by "playing the cards right"; it's by the grace of God. He's incredible, and I pray that my existance can somehow portray even a fraction of that.
It's time for a new start in an old place. It'll be Fernie livin' once again. Who knows for how long... but does that really matter?
And to see Tim Horton's opening its arms wide open for my return... oh the joys of being put back into those uniforms...
said with enthusiasm and a big smile on face, even if it's 5a.m: "Good morning, welcome to Tim Horton's. I can take your order when you're ready!"
See?!? I haven't lost it...
Haha.
Random last remark: Hey all you coastal people: Thanks x1000000000000.... Love ya muchly. Hugs all around, and I'll catch ya later.
Monday, April 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Sharla, you are so awesome and I love reading your blogs because you are so honest and open, thankyou. I hope you cherish the time you had in Africa as well as Vancouver as you head to Fernie. Love ya and miss ya my sister....
hey there port alfino girl! wow what a journey with many different experiences and challenges. thanks for all the great conversations and funtimes that we've had in your stay on the coast! Enjoy fernie livin' hehe. bye
Sharla, you are awesome. that was some beautiful alliteration :) I'm gonna miss bowling with my mistresses :) lol, just kidding. I was terrific to have you around even for a short time. Enjoy Fernie, and keep us posted on upcoming adventures and any wildbeasts that wander across your front lawn :)
Post a Comment