Friday, November 24, 2006

I would love to be able to just sit down and write something profound. I would love to have the ability to put my thoughts into comprehensive and gramatically correct sentences. Eish I think I've been out of school for too long. There is a small yearning for the smell of new text books, the excitement of opening to the first page of a fresh notebook, and the stress of forcing the brain to be more creative and intelligent than it has been in a long time.

Then I hear about friends' episodes with university and realize that maybe I'm still doing okay with pouring tea and making strangers smile.

But it's not just about making tea, pulling shots, and baking fresh cookies and cakes at 6 am. I've learned that it takes a lot to begin your own business. So much thought goes into the preperations that one can find themselves in something quite like a maze. There has been blood, sweat, bruises, and the asking of "what are we doing?!" Yet beyond all that the laughter echos louder, the relationships grow deeper, and the experiences become wisdom.

My parents are cool. Just thought I'd throw that in there. They are probably two of the best people to work with and learn from. It still baffles me to think that we're opening a tea house within the next week, but hey. Life isn't life if you aren't prepared to change direction.

I still don't know what I'm doing with myself. Do I feel odd for not being in school yet? Yep, sometimes. Do I miss Africa? All the time. Do I want to travel to other remote places of this earth? Of course. But for now, I think God is making a spot for me to fill here in Fernie. It's a thought I really struggle with, but if He wants me here then there's no better place to be. It's just a matter of convincing myself of that...

So come by the tea house for a drink (man I could make a list as long as the Elk River of people I wish who could actually come by). I won't be able to cite Shakespeare, pages from an encyclopedia, or write even the simplest blog without error, but hopefully the love of Him will seep through this broken human, and you'll leave with a smile on your face.





In other news: I'm playing piano for a wedding that is tomorrow (ahhh!), the kids' Christmas play at church is being performed in three weeks (the leader and I still are trying to figure out who's a shepherd and who's an angel), I'm fully enjoying the new Yamaha grand piano at church (the Lord takes away, but He also gives!), and... Fernie Tea and Coffee House will (hopefully) be open by next weekend!!!

Love you all and miss you... no matter if I just saw you a week ago or if it's been over a year.

7 comments:

Lynn Webb said...

and I love you too... I thought of you guys and your teahouse today while listening to some new christmas cd's at work. I thought, this would be perfect for the teahouse. Anyways my dear. You know I feel the same way about wanting to be somewhere else, yet feeling as though God has you right where He wants you. Remember, you are His child and He loves you when you play piano, serve tea and even while you sleep. Missing you lots and lots!

Anonymous said...

Sob, sniff, sob.... well okay Dad says it is the air conditioning. Ya right, it is -17 outside! Anyway, we both feel so blessed to have you help us out in this adventure that the Lord has us on. Who would have ever known. Our dear Lord knew all along. :) Here we go !!!!

Lauren Heinen said...

Shar...oh shar. You say that you wish you could sit down and write something profound - well you did... At times it is definitely difficult to take the passenger seat and allow God to drive you wherever he wants you to go, but I'm sure "His love will seep through you" and that you will change people's lives (as you already have) through your smile and way of being genuine, friendly, and kind. Well, As your mom says, "here you go!!!"
I love you, miss you, and want so much... to be with you, on that blanket, talking, laughing, or just being.

Anonymous said...

love you girl

Anonymous said...

Are you coming to Switchfoot with me in February??

Stewart said...

I miss you too sharla. If I ever take a road trip anywhere near Fernie, you know I'll be stopping for a drink and a freshly baked cake. :) Have a terrific christmas miss Heinz.

Lauren Heinen said...

i. miss. you!