Thursday, February 09, 2006

...Wow

So... I'm already sunburned...and this has only been my second day! Haha. Yep, it's hot here in Swaziland, but I really could care less because all that matters is I'M HERE! As soon as I walked into JoBurg airport, all I could think of was, "I'm back. Finally, I'm back." Actually, I think one of the first thoughts I had was, "It still smells the same." Haha. It's true though. It feels so good, I don't even know how to describe it. Swaziland is amazing, and sometimes I forget that I'm not in South Africa. The dirt is still red, I'm back in my good ol' flops, and just lovin' it.

Today was my first day working at the school. Uh huh. A complete shock to me... I have to teach. I love teaching, but preferably to kids that can speak some English. And here I thought I was going to be in an orphanage. This school isn't much of a school... just three rooms built really poorly. These kids lack parents, money for proper schooling, food, and attention. They're the cutest things ever... very clingy though. It's so devestating, these kids... some of them are pretty intelligent but they don't have the money so they can't continue with proper education. And, something else I found out just a little while ago is that the average age is only 27 or something like that. Man, if I could, I'd take all these kids home with me. Mom always wanted a black baby... haha.

Catch ya later. Love shar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharla... we are so happy to hear that you feel at home ! :)
Love you !
dad and mom and ryan

Anonymous said...

Sharla,,, we are rooting for you! You Go Girl! I had to laugh when you wrote that you were back in your flip flops, that's how we always think of you! Love you- the Summerland crew

Anonymous said...

Sharla...we're so glad you had a safe trip and you're back in the place you love so much.
our prayers are with you always,
keep smiling "sunshine"
love and hugs tutu and opa